I often times use Ubuntu Linux, and because I use the command line extensively, as is true of many Linux users, I want a way to keep my command line programs running even when I log out or close my terminal. Of course the hold fashioned UNIX way to do this was to use nohup. But there have been leaps and bounds since about 25 years ago.
When I was introduced to screen about 5 years ago I found what I was looking for. The ability to run multiple shells with multiple command line programs in a single terminal session that stays persistent. So even if I log out, when I come back, all my programs are running just as they were when I left them. Hopefully in the case of running jobs, they have completed when I get back. I can leave a program compiling overnight, come back in the morning, and find the output ready for me--all the gcc errors in their glory.
Byobu is a wrapper on top of screen (and a couple additional options) that gives you more cool stuff you can do. The problem is that I wanted to use it with PuTTY from a Windows machine and it uses the F keys as shortcuts. In putty you simply have to select the Xterm R6 radio in the Terminal -> Keyboard part of the PuTTY session preferences. That fixes it.
No comments:
Post a Comment